Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Expect Something Better

I was in the little coffee shop I go to in the morning before work the other day and noticed a wall of children's artwork. One thing stood out for me--every picture was the same image colored by different children. When I saw this, my heart sank a little bit  and I commented to the barrista that I wanted to see something other than coloring between the lines, something original and creative.

Ah well, that was obviously the wrong thing to say on this blustery Tuesday morning. I won't go into the argument that followed (very civil, of course). The up shot was, "don't expect so much, they're just kids."

Needless to say, my soul shrunk just a bit that morning. I thought of all the children in the world encouraged to "expect less of themselves," of the adults overwhelmed with life and responsibility to the point where a clean piece of paper, paints, crayons, and other supplies, is too much. Then I wondered what are we really teaching our kids? Isn't it true that we most often teach what we know? And, if this conversation is reflective of the world, then are we not in dire straights when we begin defending mediocrity and "something less?"

Certainly, children play with coloring books, figuring out how to color inside (and outside) the lines. They learn skills, sense of color, how to recognize shapes and the idea of shape, and the discipline to sit and create. This is good! I am in no way questioning the place in child development for coloring books and the like. However, in the realm learning to be creative beings, what do we really want to encourage with our displays?

For me, the outrageous meanderings of a burgeoning mind is just so much more interesting--especially in a child!

No comments:

Post a Comment